POP UPS: the ultimate dorm room shopping experience
The experience of shopping is evolving, and when Instagram and Facebook are flooded with products it is hard to know just what kind of quality is going to be shipped back to you after you’ve handed over your cash. While online shopping has created so much ease, you want to make sure you have an experience when it comes time to design an entire dorm to fit your style and personality.
Enter pop-up shopping, a shopping experience where you can firsthand see, touch, and talk to people who are well invested in the brands, products, and items they are showcasing.
Pop-up stores use the power of the shopping experience, person to person, to create an environment where you can speak to the designers and professionals themselves versus reading 7,000 Amazon reviews for answers.
Here are just a few reasons why we love pop-up shopping:
- A great pop-up creates an experience– What if you could walk into a smaller, more intimate retail space and see, touch, and design your entire dorm room on the spot? Pop-up shopping offers this for consumers. Because a pop-up shop is typically run by a smaller team as compared to a larger retail space, you can talk to a designer or product owner and together design the Insta-worthy dorm of your dreams.
- Events = Experience – An event created by a pop-up will give you TONS of different design experiences. From eclectic to modern, you will be able to see hundreds of different products that fit your design aesthetic perfectly. You might even be surprised at how great a “risky” palate looks. A designer at a pop-up will see the areas you might not see and allow for a small item to optimize space or simply look incredible (with the right lighting, of course).
- You get true one on one time with experts – Normally sitting down with a high-end interior designer or business owner will cost you a pretty penny, but at a pop-up, you can sit down with the business owners and designers who have worked in a design space for years. They will be able to tell you step-by-step what will look great, what is trending, and how you can recreate the look for your new home-away-from-home.
- Variety is everything – Most pop-up shopping experiences offer a wide range of products for shoppers. Want a lamp? We have one. Looking for design inspo from someone who has designed a boho-chic room before? She’s standing right over there. The variety offered in a pop-up is wildly different than a huge retail experience.
Students tell us why they love pop-up shopping
“I am currently a rising senior at Syracuse University. About 3 years ago when I was shopping for my dorm room necessities I went to a Dormify pop-up shop. This was so much easier than shopping for my accessories via a large retail store. By attending this pop-up shop, I made my dorm room feel like home in just a few hours. I was relieved to have designers help me during the pop-up, rather than having the stress of designing my dorm myself. I would encourage any incoming freshman to attend a pop-up shop; it makes designing your dorm simple, easy, and fun.”
” I love a pop-up shop because you can see what is new and trending right in front of you. Pop-ups typically hold products that are new to the market and I love being one of the first in the know. Also, seeing things in person ensures that there aren’t any surprises about what you are going to put in your room. I shopped a lot online for my dorm room and ended up being very happy with my decor. Unfortunately, you don’t always know what you are going to receive when you are ordering things online.”
– Jamie Konigsberg, University of Maryland
Come visit us at our Home Away From Home: Dorm Decor + College Essentials Showcase
This Sunday, our Home Away From Home: Dorm Decor + College Essentials Showcase will showcase 300 products curated from the top dorm room designers in the country. Dormify will feature their new to market products for the class of 2023 students, both for young men and young women.
Just a few of our favorite brands that will be there include Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, Bloomingdales, Dormify, Target, Wayfair, Corey Paige Designs, Winning Streak, Athleta, Room 422, and many more. We will be giving away fabulous items from our partners giving you the chance to leave with a piece of the pop-up to continue to inspire your design experience.
What could be even better? Our designers Carol & Jackie will be there to give their expertise every step of the way. Come with a vision of what you want or look through our gallery on Instagram and tell them what products you are looking for, the vibe you want to relay, and watch them work their magic.
Check out our Insta-Worthy Dorm Room Looks from Our Partners
We have some amazing brands coming through with the best in their product lines. For more inspo, check out these dorms below and create your own look with merchandise at our pop-up!
Bed Bath and Beyond
We hope to see you at our Pop-Up!
Imagine having your whole dorm picked out in one event. This is what our pop-up offers and we can’t wait to see you there!
Where: Sid Jacobson JCC
When: Sunday, May 19th, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.